Monday, May 30, 2005

Hood to Coast

Started training in earnest today. I need to get my mileage up... in a hurry. Ran six in about 61 minutes, which is neither long enough nor fast enough. By the end of June, I should be doing regular 12 mile runs on the weekends.

I'm a little worried (OK, maybe full on scared) about what this race will do to my back. Even six miles makes it sore.

The Back Story (pun intended): Last July 23rd I had the back spasm heard 'round the world. I thought I was going to be crippled for life. Turns out the second and third disks in my lower spine are bulging. After a month of no sleep and general misery, I had a cortisone injection (epidural) on my birthday, August 24. On August 25th, I was ready to run again.

However, my doctor told me that I should run "too far" and I should only run every other day, at the most. I figure the too far-thing is arbitrary. For me, too far is about 23 miles. With proper training, you can BS an 18 mile run. After that, things start getting a little funky with your legs and mind. 23 miles is when it all breaks down for me, which is what makes running marathons so fun :)

So, back to the Hood to Coast. I'm really hoping I can finish it in one piece. If not, I'll be looking forward to a big fat needle to the spine...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home