Saturday, February 18, 2006

More on "Capote"

Actually, this post is probably more about me than the film "Capote" in that it explains why I had a hard time loving it, which is truly no fault of filmmaker, Bennett Miller. Technically, the film is quite good. The performances are off-the-charts. Philip Seymour Hoffman will probably win an Oscar, as might the always wonderful Catherine Keener.

The film, however, will not win Best Picture. I can say this now without even having seen three of the nominated films. Why do I know this? Because the Academy likes films to have protaganists with redemptive or redeeming qualities. (I did NO research on that statement, so if I'm full of shit, let me know!)

Truman Capote, as portrayed in this film (this is key... AS PORTRAYED IN THIS FILM... I have no idea what he was truly like) is a self-centered, ego-maniacal ass. It's hard to truly love the film when 90% of it is focused on such a jerk.

SPOILER ALERT-- you've been warned... if you don't want to know the ending, skip the rest of this post! Here we go, turn away now...

The slides at the end of the film try to redeem him somewhat by mentioning that "In Cold Blood" was the last book he ever published, and that he wrote prior to dying -- "There are more tears shed over answered prayers than over unanswered prayers" -- as if to say he knew what he did to the two men about whom "In Cold Blood" was written was wrong. But to me, that doesn't excuse him for his wretched behavior.

I'm curious to know what happened to his friendships with Harper Lee and his partner Jack Dunphy (who had to be the most patient man alive.) All I can say is that I'm glad he suffered for his sins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home