Monday, February 20, 2006

Best Picture Analysis

My weekend spent in movie theaters is over. After $32.25 (movies are $10.75 here), I can now give my opinion on the best picture of the year category.

Note, I still need to see "Crash" so I may update this post. I'll let you know if "Crash" changes my opinion.

My pick for Best Picture is "Munich." It has everything I look for in a movie... story, acting, cinemetograpy, intrigue. I think it's best because it makes you genuinely care for each of the characters. It also deals with a weighty topic without being preachy.

I rank "Good Night, and Good Luck" number two. I absolutely love the topic. I like the way director George Clooney makes the film relevant to today's world. It feels like a "small" movie, yet as it's about TV, I think it's intentional.

Third, I would say is "Capote". A deft performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman (who should win Best Actor) propels a good movie to great.

Finally, I rank "Brokeback Mountain" fourth. Look, it's a great movie, so don't jump down my throat here. I just don't think it's as good the other three films. Here's my question... had Jake Gyllenhaal's character been a married female, thus maintaining the "forbidden love" aspect of the story, would it still be the Best Picture favorite? I think it would still be nominated for Best Picture, but I don't think it would be odds-on-favorite. Ang Lee does his usual fantastic job with it. He takes a light, Romeo and Juliet story and turns it into something special.

So, there you have it. Which Oscar nominated film do you think deserves to win Best Picture?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home