Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Recent DVD's

When I was at MSN, I was dialed in to DVD's from the studios. With my new job, I'm only receiving DVD's from Paramount, and occassionaly from Warner Bros.

So, I'm back on Netflix. I'm on the four movies a month plan, which seems about right. Here's a quick write up on what I've watched:
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Better than I was expecting. I like the new storylines Tim Burton introduces. That kid, Freddie Highmore... I really like him. He's now stolen two movies from Johnny Depp. Maybe he and Dakota Fanning should start dating.
  • Cinderella Man: Good flick. I didn't like it as much as other people I know, but I would certainly recommend it. Russell Crowe is great. Am I the only person who is totally sick of Renee Zellweger? If she never made another movie again, I doubt I would even notice.
  • Kung Fu Hustle: Stephen Chow makes good movies. OK, I've only seen two, this one and Shaolin Soccer. But, he knows how to entertain with fluff. To me, there's nothing worse than a movie that takes itself too seriously. If a movie has a serious topic, then the filmmakers need to lean into it. But, if what you have is just meant to entertain, then entertain dammit, don't get all heavy handed and preachy. Where was I? Oh, yeah... Kung Fu Hustle... good fun.
  • The 40 Year Old Virgin: Very funny, well done. Definitely one of the Top 10 films of 2005.
Next on the docket: Crash and Lords of Dogtown.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We just rented 'Charlie' - Johnny Depp is so genius! I watched 'Lords of Dogtown' when we were traveling to Greece - Heath Ledger's performance is so 'not' Heath Legder. And we acquired 'Virgin' at a Xmas party - I'd say it's 'pee in your pants' funny! (:

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home