Saturday, March 04, 2006

My Oscar Picks

I've finally seen all five Best Picture nominees. I gotta say... my opinion has TOTALLY changed from two weeks ago. Here are my picks if I were handing out the awards. In parenthesis, I'll put who I think will win.

BEST PICTURE: Brokeback Mountain. I can't shake it. When I last wrote about this film, I had it ranked at the bottom. But, of the five films, it's the only one that is completely haunting me. It's just a beautiful film. (Brokeback)

BEST ACTOR: Philip Seymour Hoffman. His portrayal of Truman Capote and all of Capote's faults was so good, I completely disliked Truman Capote, and therefore, I couldn't even enjoy the film. He's that good. (Hoffman)

BEST ACTRESS: Reese Witherspoon. This one is easy for me. It's the only performance I've seen, so how could I vote for anyone else? (Witherspoon)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Jake Gyllenhaal. He was good. And you know he was acting... ha ha. Seriously, he was really good. He made you see why Heath Ledger's character would fall in love in love with him. (George Clooney for "Good Night, and Good Luck)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Catherine Keener. She's always good. In "Capote" she fantastic. Acting against Hoffman's showy character, she remained restrained and within herself. Keener is the soul of "Capote". (Michelle Williams from "Brokeback")

BEST DIRECTOR: Ang Lee. His direction of "Brokeback Mountain" is flawless. If he doesn't win this award, I'll be stunned and very disappointed. (Lee)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: "Good Night, and Good Luck". This is another category where I haven't seen many of the films. Between this and "Crash", it's no contest. ("Crash"... Hollywood has a guilty conscience and loves films shot in its backyard. There's no reason for this film to win anything, but the Academy needs to give it something.)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: "Munich". I really liked this film. To me, best picture is a coin flip between it and "Brokeback". I liked this story better than the story of "Brokeback". ("Brokeback")

There you have it. What do you think? Enjoy the show tomorrow night!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm assuming you didn't see 'Transamerica'? I saw it last Saturday & Felicity Huffman was OUTSTANDING. My feeling is it's going to be a close call between her & Reese. Although, I have yet to see 'Walk the Line'.

I absolutely loved 'Brokeback' and the more awards this film receives, the happier I will be!

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home