Monday, August 01, 2005

Atkins Eats It

You know, there's gotta be a better and more healthy way to lose weight than cutting carbs. In fact, I know there is... I lost 40 pounds by running. The only change I made to my diet was to ADD carbs in order to give me energy to finish my runs.

Yeah, OK, running marathons isn't the easiest thing in the world and they're certainly not for everyone (training takes up an extraordinary amount of time, and frankly, it racks your body,) but running and a decent diet will do wonders. My mom lost a lot of weight (I'm very proud of her) with a combination of walking and Weight Watchers.

So, it was with great pleasure that I read that Atkins (yeah, that Atkins) filed for bankruptcy. Apparently, the number of Americans on the faddish diet went from 9% to 2% in the past year. Funny how Asians, with all of their rice, and Italians, with all of their pasta, have managed to steer clear of the U.S.'s obesity issues.

How is it that I'm Asian and run marathons and still manage to be obese? Good times. Thanks for the genes mom and dad!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, please!!! You are not obese!!! I guess on the flip side of that - Stevie got the 'skinny genes'...hope Kaia gets those (:

2:18 AM  
Blogger David said...

OK, I had to check. After a quick Google search, I confirmed that I am obese! Granted, I probably have a little more muscle mass (at least in my legs) than a typical person, but I need to lose seven pounds. So, I will.

Back to eating like a frickin' rabbit... and running like a tortoise... slow and steady wins the race.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Ang said...

Seven pounds makes you obese? Dude, cut yourself some slack.

1:52 AM  
Blogger David said...

Yeah, I know. The whole obesity chart thing is insane. But, I've been on the heavy side of the scale all my life. I'd rather not see my weight in the obese side of the chart if I don't have to.

This is something I can control. What I can't control is my absolute love of food...

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home