Wednesday, January 18, 2006

"Must See TV"... Not

Got around to watching "Emily's Reasons Why Not." Not bad. But not good either. Rather flat, I'd say. Which, since it stars Heather Graham and her glorious twins, is pretty ironic.

The premise of the show, a fantastically beautiful, successful book editor who can't find the right man seems rather, I don't know, unbelievable. But then, "Sex and The City" ran for five (six?) seasons based on the same premise. I'm not saying that all beautiful are in fantastic relationships, because I know quite a few that aren't. But, c'mon. This is ROLLERGIRL!

The main issues I have with the show are the gay and the Asian Dragonlady stereotypes. Why must every fantastically beautiful, successful, single woman on TV have a gay friend? Stop it! You don't have to go down this road.

My biggest objection though, is with the Asian Dragonlady. It's nice to a see sister on TV... but why must she play it as Ling (Lucy Liu) from Ally McBeal. This show even does the crazy sound effects when she bats her eyes or turns her head. Stop it!

I hope to God the character of Glitter Cho is allowed to grow past the stereotypes. If she isn't, "Emily's" has given me a good reason why not to watch the show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home